Moms and Dads need to take time to fulfill their adult selves. Spending time with the keiki is amazing but if your love tank is on low, the keiki can tell. Take time to reconnect on a date night once a month. Here are ten ideas to make it easy and fun!
1. Make it a lunch date. Not into babysitters? No worries, make it a date lunch while the kids are at school. (lunch can be better on the wallet too!)
2. Make it fun. Write a note on the bathroom mirror with an invite to coffee. Even if it’s just 30 minutes of uninterrupted time, it will do your relationship good.
3. Make it a picnic at home. After the kids have gone to sleep. Bring out a blanket, plop it on the floor and eat a yummy desert together with a glass of wine, tv off, maybe music on, and just hang or chat.
4. Bookstore love. One of the coolest and cheapest dates is a trip to a book store. Hit up Barnes & Noble, grab a cup of joe and peruse books together. Dream of travels in the travel section or just flip through a magazine.
5. Long distance love. Maybe your spouse had to head off island for an extended work trip or you’ve headed home for a long visit with family. Don’t let date night pass you by. Instead, set up at time to chat via facetime or skype once the kids are in bed so you can stay connected.
6. Mark it on the calendar! If you have a family calendar, write “Date night” in big bold letters. This way no one inadvertently makes plans for that night and the kids know well in advance that you’ll be taking some time out together.
7. Find a cool babysitter. Plain and simple, having a killer babysitter will make date night easier. The kids will be excited and you won’t have to worry.
8. Go double. Have some couple friends that you get along well with? Make it a double date. If they have kids the same age, have a babysitter watch them all together. This makes it fun for everyone and can be easier on the babysitter since the kids will keep each other busy. Plus you get great adult convo and get to connect with friends too!
9. Send the kids away. Does Tutu live close? Send the kids to her house so you and hubby can stay home. This is a fantastic option for a low budget date night.
10. Give your spouse a date night coupon book. Make it 12, one for each month, and use the ideas above to inspire you and what you’ll do.
Remember, date nights can be low budget & easy. It’s all about making sure you set aside time to reconnect. Make it a priority and have fun with it!